Stuff: Why does it control our lives?

Hellooooooo again! I haven’t been inspired to write about something that’s not politics related, since the swift downfall of my country has been constantly on my mind. (what can ya do?) But finally, something other than “look what Donald-revert the country 50 years- Trump has done!” has come to mind. (sorry #NotSorry I couldn’t resist)

I’ve been reading a lot about this whole “minimalism” movement (and NO I am not talking about ChomPsky) and it basically sums up how I’ve been feeling about life for a longggg time.

If you don’t know what Minimalism is, here’s a link to the creators’ blog. But in short, it’s a lifestyle that moves people away on focusing on what you think is supposed to make you happy, to doing what actually makes you happy. “Okkkkkkk,” I’m sure you’re thinking. But, hear me out.

Based on my own life, when I’m feeling, down or irritated at life/humans/school/students/boss/EVERYTHING I usually start getting the urge to go shopping. “If I just revamp my wardrobe, I’ll feel happier,” or “there’s this new trend I’ve seen on tumblr. I’m sure that it’ll make me feel happier.”

And you know what, I DO feel happier when I buy a new shirt or some new earrings, but then that goes away and the cycle repeats itself.

“That’s life Sherez.” Right? No. I don’t think so.

When I think about stuff, and all of the material possessions that I own, I literally use about half of them. Maybe even less. Human beings are creatures of habit, and when something works for us (unless you’re the self destructive type lol), we tend to stick to it. For example, if I find a pair of jeans that I love, all of my female/track friends/not flat like a stick friends (nothing wrong with being flat like a stick) can relate, I’m literally wearing those jeans 75% of the time I wear jeans! The other 25% of the time I’m wearing the other pair that I love.

So whyyyy do I have like 10 pairs of jeans???

I’ll tell you why. It’s because they were bought during those moments when I “needed” a bit of retail therapy (insert MAJOR eye roll).

But what value do those jeans bring to my life? None. I literally have them tossed in a corner of my closet, annoyed at the space they’re taking away from the other clothes I don’t use.

So I’ve been asking myself lately, what’s the point of having all these things that don’t add true value to my life? There is no point. Society (I can only speak for the U.S.) trains us to think that the more we have, the better off/happier/liked/envied we are.

I can 100% promise you, that it’s not true.

I feel most happy and alive when I’m traveling or learning/imparting knowledge. And it’s a permanent happiness. The experiences, the real ones, the life changing ones, that I’ve gone through, cannot be taken away from me because they literally add something to my being. I assure you, when I buy a new pair of pants, nothing is added to who I am as a person…. unless they are Levis bold curve… those are life changing.

So, as I move quickly through 26 years of life, my goal is to stop and ask myself: How do the things that I do, the people I interact with, the things I buy, etc. contribute to my true happiness?

If the answer is “I don’t know,” or “it doesn’t,” then I don’t need it. As cliché as it is to say (and write), life is literally too short and too hard to give any energy to those things that don’t contribute to our well being, growth, and the growth of world (after all, it’s not just about you).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: